I think I want another Ka
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:21:18 UTC
Now don't get me wrong, the Accord is nice and all. Nicely quiet. Clever
variable intake tract, valve timing and lift, blah blah blah even sounds
good when running on the shorter intake tract with the higher lift camshaft
profile doing its, err, higher lift stuff. It'll even break 40 mpg if I'm
careful. But it's "nice" rather than "you want to drive me, you do."
Functional. Great for my boring motorway commute and all...

It even grips well in twisty material but there's lots of body roll and no
challenge keeping up the pace in a twisty bit of road. If I slow down,
ensure the tacho is somewhere over 4,500 rpm and under 6,500 rpm, push
throttle, job done...

...but it's not exciting in the least. Unless I want to think about
technical variable pokery under the bonnet... yawn...

I think I want another Ka. Or a Puma. Or something small and funky and
puntable on a country lane. Or something diesel. Or something
interesting...

But not a Manta, nor an Alfa Romeo, probably.

|I need help.|
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Rob
2006-05-14 16:29:34 UTC
got a punto sporting and a 205 gti going cheap :)
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:37:08 UTC
Post by Rob
got a punto sporting and a 205 gti going cheap :)
The 205 doesn't work heh. But would make a smashing daily drive.

The Punto....
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Vamp
MK1 MR2 ;)
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:37:50 UTC
Post by Vamp
Post by DervMan
[...]
Somebody here was selling one.. then changed their mind? :-)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Carl Gibbs
2006-05-17 15:52:25 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by Vamp
Post by DervMan
[...]
Aye, that was me, well the missus. Now it's running ok with the new engine,
and has some nice Oz wheels she's happy for now. Although she's trying to
persaude me to buy a 205 CTi that she can drive over the summer and I'll
have the MR2. Very tempting if the Manta sells!

PS whats wrong with a Manta? I happen to know of a good one for sale :)
DervMan
2006-05-17 16:06:10 UTC
Post by Carl Gibbs
Post by DervMan
Post by Vamp
Post by DervMan
[...]
I don't mind the Manta, but Charlie's all fussy and "eww" you know?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
RichardK
2006-05-17 16:04:57 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by Carl Gibbs
PS whats wrong with a Manta? I happen to know of a good one for sale :)
I don't mind the Manta, but Charlie's all fussy and "eww" you know?
Stick a V8 in, tell her it's a Chevy Monza that shrunk in the wash (and
somehow lost the chassis in the process).

Richard
--
RichardK - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/ - retro, music, cars.
2006 Mazda RX8, 1992 Sera Phase III -= Do Not Tempt With New Cars =-
am to assume I am not allowed to do it". * 64 is 128 for email *
Abo
2006-05-18 12:41:13 UTC
she's trying to persaude me to buy a 205 CTi that she can drive over
the summer and I'll have the MR2.
I know someone selling a 306 convertible if you're interested?
--
Abo

www.pickuptruckracing.com

Posting from my desktop...
Carl Gibbs
2006-05-18 21:38:05 UTC
Post by Abo
she's trying to persaude me to buy a 205 CTi that she can drive over
the summer and I'll have the MR2.
I know someone selling a 306 convertible if you're interested?
Probably too expensive. I'm looking in the <£1000 bracket. ideally much
less!
David Lane
2006-05-14 16:38:22 UTC
SNIP>>
Post by Vamp
MK1 MR2 ;)
And there's a guy near me in Wakefield (about 30 miles from York) who's got
a good one.

It's just a pity it's only got 2 seats when I need a minimum of 4.

David
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:36:11 UTC
Post by David Lane
SNIP>>
Post by Vamp
MK1 MR2 ;)
And there's a guy near me in Wakefield (about 30 miles from York) who's
got a good one.
And close to work in Pontefract...
Post by David Lane
It's just a pity it's only got 2 seats when I need a minimum of 4.
I only have one car-keen friend in the vicinity of me so that's no problem.

What colour?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
David Lane
2006-05-14 16:56:38 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by David Lane
SNIP>>
Post by David Lane
It's just a pity it's only got 2 seats when I need a minimum of 4.
I only have one car-keen friend in the vicinity of me so that's no problem.
What colour?
--
It was red. And on eBay but didn't sell about 3 weeks ago.

Can't find it now though - only this one:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?nU=0&make=TOYOTA&model=MR2&min_pr=75&max_pr=&postcode=WF12%207TF&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1&start=3&distance=20&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200618234576440

David
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:56:45 UTC
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
Post by David Lane
SNIP>>
Post by David Lane
It's just a pity it's only got 2 seats when I need a minimum of 4.
I only have one car-keen friend in the vicinity of me so that's no problem.
What colour?
--
It was red. And on eBay but didn't sell about 3 weeks ago.
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?nU=0&make=TOYOTA&model=MR2&min_pr=75&max_pr=&postcode=WF12%207TF&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1&start=3&distance=20&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200618234576440
Ahhh. Colour isnt especially important to me but is to Charlie.

She likes blue <g>.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
David Lane
2006-05-14 17:03:28 UTC
Post by DervMan
Ahhh. Colour isnt especially important to me but is to Charlie.
She likes blue <g>.
--
Aha !!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't be interested in a Merc estate that's metallic blue: ;-)

Or even a Volvo 740 estate that's blue.

Thought not.

David
DervMan
2006-05-14 17:29:37 UTC
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
Ahhh. Colour isnt especially important to me but is to Charlie.
She likes blue <g>.
--
Aha !!!!!!!!!!
You wouldn't be interested in a Merc estate that's metallic blue: ;-)
Or even a Volvo 740 estate that's blue.
Thought not.
Part exchange?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
David Lane
2006-05-14 17:37:40 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
Ahhh. Colour isnt especially important to me but is to Charlie.
She likes blue <g>.
--
Aha !!!!!!!!!!
You wouldn't be interested in a Merc estate that's metallic blue: ;-)
Or even a Volvo 740 estate that's blue.
Thought not.
Part exchange?
--
Hmmm ... that depends how much you're asking for for the Accord. And the
spec.

I've been told to get something sensible! My wife's just got two SP30's and
the insurance is too much for her on Gp 16, so the Merc's going.

Also, she's apparently going to get a new job (only interview, which is
good) that means a 15 mile commute into Leeds.

So yes, I'm interested!

David
DervMan
2006-05-14 17:55:44 UTC
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
Ahhh. Colour isnt especially important to me but is to Charlie.
She likes blue <g>.
--
Aha !!!!!!!!!!
You wouldn't be interested in a Merc estate that's metallic blue: ;-)
Or even a Volvo 740 estate that's blue.
Thought not.
Part exchange?
Hmmm ... that depends how much you're asking for for the Accord. And the
spec.
I've been told to get something sensible! My wife's just got two SP30's
and the insurance is too much for her on Gp 16, so the Merc's going.
Also, she's apparently going to get a new job (only interview, which is
good) that means a 15 mile commute into Leeds.
So yes, I'm interested!
I suspect this isn't going to happen* but what the heck.

The Accord is a '99 LS. Air, cruise, electric 'roof and windows, ABS. Erm.
78K, FHSH**, 1.85 SOHC VTEC, manual.

*Charlie is fussy about the look of some cars.

**Apart from the last service.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
David Lane
2006-05-14 18:37:57 UTC
Post by DervMan
I suspect this isn't going to happen* but what the heck.
You never know! My union (don't know why I'm a member) is trying for a 23%
pay rise over 3 years, but the university's about to start taking 30% of my
salary away *if* I don't invigilate an exam on the 22nd. If I do (and I can
be as cunning as them) then I'm OK financially to buy something new.

And anyway, I don't agree with the current union dispute with the
universities, which is about to get me expelled from the union.
Post by DervMan
The Accord is a '99 LS. Air, cruise, electric 'roof and windows, ABS.
Erm. 78K, FHSH**, 1.85 SOHC VTEC, manual.
*Charlie is fussy about the look of some cars.
Large blue estates ;-) ?

They're at: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdavidclaneQQhtZ-1

David
DanTXD
2006-05-14 20:04:30 UTC
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
I suspect this isn't going to happen* but what the heck.
You never know! My union (don't know why I'm a member) is trying for a 23%
pay rise over 3 years, but the university's about to start taking 30% of
my salary away *if* I don't invigilate an exam on the 22nd. If I do (and I
can be as cunning as them) then I'm OK financially to buy something new.
And anyway, I don't agree with the current union dispute with the
universities, which is about to get me expelled from the union.
Don't get me fucking started on that... If my graduation is delayed, and I
miss it because at the moment I'm almost certainly gonna be in Canada, I'm
gonna burn the fucking place down.
Dan
DanTXD
2006-05-14 20:04:48 UTC
Post by DanTXD
Post by David Lane
Post by DervMan
I suspect this isn't going to happen* but what the heck.
You never know! My union (don't know why I'm a member) is trying for a
23% pay rise over 3 years, but the university's about to start taking 30%
of my salary away *if* I don't invigilate an exam on the 22nd. If I do
(and I can be as cunning as them) then I'm OK financially to buy
something new.
And anyway, I don't agree with the current union dispute with the
universities, which is about to get me expelled from the union.
Don't get me fucking started on that... If my graduation is delayed, and
I miss it because at the moment I'm almost certainly gonna be in Canada,
I'm gonna burn the fucking place down.
P.s. - I wasn't ranting at you :-)
Dan
DanTXD
2006-05-14 16:46:24 UTC
"DervMan" <***@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:2OI9g.29470$***@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
Dan
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:49:55 UTC
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting diesels.
Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or "reliable" or
whatever.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DanTXD
2006-05-14 16:51:23 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or "reliable"
or whatever.
I suppose it depends how you define 'interesting' - I mean, some people
train spot and find that 'interesting'...
Dan
DervMan
2006-05-14 16:51:49 UTC
Post by DanTXD
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or "reliable"
or whatever.
I suppose it depends how you define 'interesting' - I mean, some people
train spot and find that 'interesting'...
LOL yes.

But I was thinking more along the lines that something interesting here
would encourage me to drive. Not about ultimate fuel economy, otherwise
we'd get something like an "interesting" *cough* Audi A2 TDI. Or the
souless Lupo SDI I suppose.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
NeedforSwede2
2006-05-15 08:07:14 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or "reliable"
or whatever.
I suppose it depends how you define 'interesting' - I mean, some people
train spot and find that 'interesting'...
LOL yes.
But I was thinking more along the lines that something interesting here
would encourage me to drive. Not about ultimate fuel economy, otherwise
we'd get something like an "interesting" *cough* Audi A2 TDI. Or the
souless Lupo SDI I suppose.
Fabia vRS
Interesting, fast, diesel, cheaper than an Audi, more soulfull than an
SDi. CAI, remap, stainless, grin. Sounds like a road map to achievement
to me.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
DervMan
2006-05-17 06:34:26 UTC
Post by NeedforSwede2
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or "reliable"
or whatever.
I suppose it depends how you define 'interesting' - I mean, some people
train spot and find that 'interesting'...
LOL yes.
But I was thinking more along the lines that something interesting here
would encourage me to drive. Not about ultimate fuel economy, otherwise
we'd get something like an "interesting" *cough* Audi A2 TDI. Or the
souless Lupo SDI I suppose.
Fabia vRS
Interesting, fast, diesel, cheaper than an Audi, more soulfull than an
SDi. CAI, remap, stainless, grin. Sounds like a road map to achievement
to me.
Agreed, except, still *way* too expensive.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
NeedforSwede2
2006-05-17 15:05:30 UTC
In article <Stzag.169$***@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, ***@ntlworld.com
says...
Post by DervMan
Post by NeedforSwede2
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
[...]
Yeah, I know, which is why I'm in a 2.0 NA petrol.
What about a standard 1.9 TDi Octavia. They can be sorted too, and all
the VAG diesel tuners sort them.
DervMan
2006-05-17 16:10:37 UTC
Post by NeedforSwede2
says...
Post by DervMan
Post by NeedforSwede2
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
[...]
Hmm. Octavia TDIs are one of the vehicles of choice for taxi drivers in
York, at least, they seem to be - prices are steady. And whilst they're
good cars, the interior is a bit, erm, hmm, not my cuppa tea. Some interior
fabrics look appalling. The only ones I've seen with cruise control are the
1.8T models, too.

Ultimately I do like the Octavia TDI but they're not great value as a used
machine.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
JackH
2006-05-18 02:06:56 UTC
Post by DervMan
Hmm. Octavia TDIs are one of the vehicles of choice for taxi drivers
in York, at least, they seem to be - prices are steady. And whilst
they're good cars, the interior is a bit, erm, hmm, not my cuppa tea.
Some interior fabrics look appalling. The only ones I've seen with
cruise control are the
1.8T models, too.
Given they're VW through and through mechanically, I suspect you can
retrofit the same cruise control kit onto those as you can on the Passat /
Golf...

JackH
SteveH
2006-05-18 04:33:20 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by DervMan
Hmm. Octavia TDIs are one of the vehicles of choice for taxi drivers
in York, at least, they seem to be - prices are steady. And whilst
they're good cars, the interior is a bit, erm, hmm, not my cuppa tea.
Some interior fabrics look appalling. The only ones I've seen with
cruise control are the
1.8T models, too.
Given they're VW through and through mechanically, I suspect you can
retrofit the same cruise control kit onto those as you can on the Passat /
Golf...
So long as it's one with the electronic throttle. Don't know what year
that came in.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
JackH
2006-05-18 04:37:10 UTC
Post by SteveH
Post by JackH
Post by DervMan
Hmm. Octavia TDIs are one of the vehicles of choice for taxi
drivers in York, at least, they seem to be - prices are steady.
And whilst they're good cars, the interior is a bit, erm, hmm, not
my cuppa tea. Some interior fabrics look appalling. The only ones
I've seen with cruise control are the
1.8T models, too.
Given they're VW through and through mechanically, I suspect you can
retrofit the same cruise control kit onto those as you can on the
Passat / Golf...
So long as it's one with the electronic throttle. Don't know what year
that came in.
Did they ever do an Octavia *T*Di without an electronic throttle then?

Given the Golf had it from something like 1994 (and it's all the TDi in
those ever had), can't see them reverse engineering that.

JackH
SteveH
2006-05-18 04:44:35 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by SteveH
So long as it's one with the electronic throttle. Don't know what year
that came in.
Did they ever do an Octavia *T*Di without an electronic throttle then?
Given the Golf had it from something like 1994 (and it's all the TDi in
those ever had), can't see them reverse engineering that.
Ahhh. Diesel. *shudder*
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
NeedforSwede2
2006-05-18 08:35:06 UTC
Post by DervMan
Ultimately I do like the Octavia TDI but they're not great value as a used
machine.
Brother got a bargain couple of years ago.
3 year old white, TDi, quick enough. £2k
190k miles though. It was a taxi, it had been auctioned because it was
finance snatchbacked when the firm folded.
Full service history, serviced about once a month.

Sorted him though, he was doing about 7k a year, and the boot was good
for his tools. Felt and drove like new even with those miles.
Had it given a "major service" when he bought it, drove it for 2 years,
that balanced the age/mileage just a touch, 205k in 5 years, instead of
19k in 3, then flogged it to another taxi driver for £300 more than he
bought it.
JackH
2006-05-14 18:46:32 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or
"reliable" or whatever.
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.

Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment road
leads for the foreseeable...

JackH
DervMan
2006-05-14 18:51:52 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by DervMan
Post by DanTXD
This...
Post by DervMan
Or something diesel.
And this....
Post by DervMan
Or something interesting...
Are definately an either/or situation :-)
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or
"reliable" or whatever.
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment road
leads for the foreseeable...
Fiat?

Punto?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
SteveH
2006-05-14 18:55:13 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by JackH
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment road
leads for the foreseeable...
Fiat?
Punto?
The new Grande Punto. Cracking car - the JTD has had great reviews.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
JackH
2006-05-14 19:02:14 UTC
Post by SteveH
Post by DervMan
Post by JackH
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment
road leads for the foreseeable...
Fiat?
Punto?
The new Grande Punto. Cracking car - the JTD has had great reviews.
Don't listen to him Dervy... he'd tell you it was fantastic even if it was a
complete turd. ;-)

JackH
JackH
2006-05-14 18:55:08 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by JackH
Post by DervMan
That's too narrow a point of view. There are plenty of interesting
diesels. Of course, "interesting" here may not mean "quick" or
"reliable" or whatever.
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment
road leads for the foreseeable...
Fiat?
Punto?
Aye... *Grande* Punto though... there won't be any porridge wogged examples
out there in the time I'd be keeping one, to bring the side down. ;-)

JackH
RichardK
2006-05-14 22:59:04 UTC
Post by JackH
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me, Sir, in
a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the employment road
leads for the foreseeable...
Ah, employment.

I just discovered I'm now a professional photographer in addition to
everything else I do, after a 2 hour PR shoot I had to dash over for.

Depending on how much work might happen from that job, I might promote
myself a bit in that regard. Never even thought of it before, what with
my 'unprofessional' SD10 kit.

Richard
JackH
2006-05-14 23:23:05 UTC
Post by RichardK
Post by JackH
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me,
Sir, in a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the
employment road leads for the foreseeable...
Ah, employment.
Aye, that old chestnut... all part of the wonderful game that is
'contracting'.

I'm not concerned... I'm actually quite hopeful where I am might be looking
to find something else for me anyway... but before one takes on a 3 year
millstone, it's nice to know one might stand a slight chance of being able
to meet the repayments.
Post by RichardK
I just discovered I'm now a professional photographer in addition to
everything else I do, after a 2 hour PR shoot I had to dash over for.
Depending on how much work might happen from that job, I might promote
myself a bit in that regard. Never even thought of it before, what
with my 'unprofessional' SD10 kit.
You'll be wanting to keep the Scorpio, then...

JackH
RichardK
2006-05-15 08:05:19 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by RichardK
Post by JackH
I noticed the local Fiat place are offering 0% over 36 months with no
deposit again, last night.
Grande Punto 1.9 JTD Sporting... suits you Sir... may even suit me,
Sir, in a few months once I'm a bit more certain as to where the
employment road leads for the foreseeable...
Ah, employment.
Aye, that old chestnut... all part of the wonderful game that is
'contracting'.
I'm not concerned... I'm actually quite hopeful where I am might be looking
to find something else for me anyway... but before one takes on a 3 year
millstone, it's nice to know one might stand a slight chance of being able
to meet the repayments.
It's why I like the Contract Hire route; same payments as a millstone
(though IMO for better cars [1]), but new cars so reliable/warranty.
When we finally get around to selling this place and buying somewhere in
Yorkshire, I'm going to get a Bentley - I won't do it until I have a
garage. Haven't decided what model I want/how much I'll spend, but I
know I'll be happy /enough/ with a late 80s Bentley Eight in very good
condition (which is a cheap Bentley indeed) - I'd ideally like a
Continental T or R, or Corniche (rare, though, and too easily mistaken
for a 'Roller').
Post by JackH
Post by RichardK
Depending on how much work might happen from that job, I might promote
myself a bit in that regard. Never even thought of it before, what
with my 'unprofessional' SD10 kit.
You'll be wanting to keep the Scorpio, then...
Bugger that; it's MOTd now and anyone with £450 can take it away. I can
get my main camera kit (SD10, flash, 4 lenses - though I can't find one
of them right now, plus Pentax DL and lens, filters), tripods and a pair
of Elinchrom heads, stands and collapsed softbox in the back of the RX8.
I could get a better stand for the softbox with a weight on it, which
might not fit. Only screwed if I need backgrounds, but they're not
really an issue for that.

And frankly, if I did need backgrounds, I'd get an A-class with the
option to remove the front passenger seat.

What I think will be more useful from a marketing point of view is the
video kit I have, and maybe getting a Vodafone 3G datacard with
unlimited bandwidth. Send images RIGHT NOW from the site, having
previewed and edited them directly on the PowerBook - or prepare video
work on site. For most PR work, iMovie will do everything needed, but
for more sophisticated jobs I can always bring the work home.

Richard

[1] The RX is costing £199+VAT/month. The deposit was nothing like the
£3,500 I see given in many finance examples, but £1K - usually it's 3
payments. And there's no MGFV - if I wanted to keep it, it's valued
between trade and retail prices, and since RX8 prices are dropping
rapidly due to oversupply, that's going to work out very nicely.
JackH
2006-05-15 13:28:08 UTC
Post by RichardK
[1] The RX is costing £199+VAT/month.
HFM???

Sounds a bit cheap to me.

I take it that's unmaintained - how many years / miles per annum?

JackH
RichardK
2006-05-15 14:00:48 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by RichardK
[1] The RX is costing £199+VAT/month.
HFM???
Sounds a bit cheap to me.
I take it that's unmaintained - how many years / miles per annum?
Unmaintained (12.5K service, £77, 25K, £106, tyres you don't want to
know. Tax is included though).

10Kpa, but guess what - the cost of more miles ppm afterwards is the
same as the additional cost for say, 20K or whatever pa. So instead of
paying for a 20K contract and only doing 12K in a year, I get the 10K
instead and pay for the extra. Same cost per mile, but I'm not paying
for miles I haven't used.

You won't find those prices now I expect; there appeared to be a glut of
8s, and discounting, combined with previously strong residuals that are
now dropping as the car gets older.

Richard
Tim S Kemp
2006-05-15 16:44:54 UTC
Post by RichardK
It's why I like the Contract Hire route; same payments as a millstone
(though IMO for better cars [1]), but new cars so reliable/warranty.
When we finally get around to selling this place and buying somewhere
in Yorkshire, I'm going to get a Bentley - I won't do it until I have
a garage. Haven't decided what model I want/how much I'll spend, but I
know I'll be happy /enough/ with a late 80s Bentley Eight in very good
condition (which is a cheap Bentley indeed) - I'd ideally like a
Continental T or R, or Corniche (rare, though, and too easily mistaken
for a 'Roller').
Yahey - move to Yorkshire - YKIMS
Post by RichardK
Post by JackH
Post by RichardK
Depending on how much work might happen from that job, I might
promote myself a bit in that regard. Never even thought of it
before, what with my 'unprofessional' SD10 kit.
You'll be wanting to keep the Scorpio, then...
Bugger that; it's MOTd now and anyone with £450 can take it away. I
can get my main camera kit (SD10, flash, 4 lenses - though I can't
find one of them right now, plus Pentax DL and lens, filters),
tripods and a pair of Elinchrom heads, stands and collapsed softbox
in the back of the RX8. I could get a better stand for the softbox
with a weight on it, which might not fit. Only screwed if I need
backgrounds, but they're not really an issue for that.
An SD10 and a *istDL - I like you I do. No Nikons / Canons in sight then?

How do you get on with the DL - been promising myself a digital body since
the D was launched but never got round to it (don't do much photo any more)
and bought another P&S (Panasonic LX1)
Post by RichardK
And frankly, if I did need backgrounds, I'd get an A-class with the
option to remove the front passenger seat.
What I think will be more useful from a marketing point of view is the
video kit I have, and maybe getting a Vodafone 3G datacard with
unlimited bandwidth. Send images RIGHT NOW from the site, having
previewed and edited them directly on the PowerBook - or prepare video
work on site. For most PR work, iMovie will do everything needed, but
for more sophisticated jobs I can always bring the work home.
Mate of mine had a powerbook with finalcut - but has dumped it for some
fancy PC book with VEGAS - couldn't get a Mac with twin 7200 drives in RAID
so was getting sick of the speed. Uses Mac / Finalcut back at the studio
though.

I'm a Premiere person though - and I never edit on the lappy - should do
though but never have the disk space.
RichardK
2006-05-15 20:59:32 UTC
Tim S Kemp wrote:

<snip stuff>
Post by Tim S Kemp
Yahey - move to Yorkshire - YKIMS
Oh, I do. I was born in Rotherham, and grew up just over the border in
Notts. before being dragged up here - Sheffield and Yorkshire in general
are much more like "home" to me than Scotland ever can be, even though I
have lived here for longer.

I like Scotland. I like the countryside and the architecture and the
people in the main bits of the country. I like a fair bit of the
Borders. However, there's a small but unpleasant percentage of the
Border folk who are, frankly, the most unpleasantly racist fuckwits I
have ever met, and I cannot lose my accent. I do sometimes slip into
"Northern", but I'm RP, and sound daft trying to say anything Bordersish.
Post by Tim S Kemp
An SD10 and a *istDL - I like you I do. No Nikons / Canons in sight then?
Sometimes, but the SD10 is mineminemine. Elsewhere were Contax compacts
(i4R is now departed, U4R and SL300 need batteries), Fujica medium
format rangefinders (my 645W is in need of repairs), and Minoltas on
demand. Next up should be a Pentax 645D.
Post by Tim S Kemp
How do you get on with the DL - been promising myself a digital body since
the D was launched but never got round to it (don't do much photo any more)
and bought another P&S (Panasonic LX1)
The Pentax kicks arse for a small, cheap DSLR - I like that it fits in
my glovebox. Sensitivity is pretty good too, and it seems marginally
happier with some colours than the same (allegedly) sensor in Nikon and
Minolta competitors.

Pentax's own lens range (as in AF digital fits) is a bit limited, mind.
Post by Tim S Kemp
Mate of mine had a powerbook with finalcut - but has dumped it for some
fancy PC book with VEGAS - couldn't get a Mac with twin 7200 drives in RAID
so was getting sick of the speed. Uses Mac / Finalcut back at the studio
though.
Twin drives in a RAID? What's the point. You want RAID, you want a
United Digital Firestar 5-drive hotswappable box with Firewire 800
connection. That's a fast little box.
Post by Tim S Kemp
I'm a Premiere person though - and I never edit on the lappy - should do
though but never have the disk space.
For the kind of work I'm considering - 20 minute promos - the PowerBook
should be fine and a MacBook Pro would kick serious arse.

Richard
aussie bongo
2006-05-15 21:06:52 UTC
why do you want a ka "korean airplane" ;)
Tim S Kemp
2006-05-15 21:15:17 UTC
Post by RichardK
Post by Tim S Kemp
An SD10 and a *istDL - I like you I do. No Nikons / Canons in sight then?
Sometimes, but the SD10 is mineminemine. Elsewhere were Contax
compacts (i4R is now departed, U4R and SL300 need batteries), Fujica
medium format rangefinders (my 645W is in need of repairs), and
Minoltas on demand. Next up should be a Pentax 645D
645D. Don't. I'll give up my day job... although it's doing that without me
at the moment.

If Leica ever do an M digital (yeah yeah yeah) then I'll be up for a
remortgage - used to do weddings with an old college mate, we both had
rangefinders loaded B/W and SLRs loaded colour - mine was pentax and
minolta, his was nikon and leica....
Post by RichardK
Post by Tim S Kemp
How do you get on with the DL - been promising myself a digital body
since the D was launched but never got round to it (don't do much
photo any more) and bought another P&S (Panasonic LX1)
The Pentax kicks arse for a small, cheap DSLR - I like that it fits in
my glovebox. Sensitivity is pretty good too, and it seems marginally
happier with some colours than the same (allegedly) sensor in Nikon
and Minolta competitors.
Pentax's own lens range (as in AF digital fits) is a bit limited, mind.
Pentax glass has always been spot on - I never really kept a lot of lenses -
for me it never really got beyond being assistant / second on stuff my mate
did. Doing quite a bit of video now though.
Post by RichardK
Post by Tim S Kemp
Mate of mine had a powerbook with finalcut - but has dumped it for
some fancy PC book with VEGAS - couldn't get a Mac with twin 7200
drives in RAID so was getting sick of the speed. Uses Mac / Finalcut
back at the studio though.
Twin drives in a RAID? What's the point. You want RAID, you want a
United Digital Firestar 5-drive hotswappable box with Firewire 800
connection. That's a fast little box.
The point is fitting more than two drives in a notebook = not easy... twice
the transfer rate!
Post by RichardK
Post by Tim S Kemp
I'm a Premiere person though - and I never edit on the lappy -
should do though but never have the disk space.
For the kind of work I'm considering - 20 minute promos - the
PowerBook should be fine and a MacBook Pro would kick serious arse.
MBP is the way to go - I'd kind of like one for Logic, but got other
priorities and problems justnow...
--
Aggressive sweeping momentarily melts the ice, which lessens friction,
thereby lessening the deceleration of the rock, while straightening the
trajectory of the rock.
john
2006-05-14 17:16:38 UTC
Post by DervMan
[...]
Latest celica corners like it's on rails - I've seen early cars for 7K.
build and reliability second to none. cheap to run too. Or a little 106 GTI
(ok, french crap but fun and slightly more cred than a paxo...)
Lordy.UK
2006-05-14 17:38:46 UTC
Post by john
Latest celica corners like it's on rails
build and reliability second to none.
He's already talking about being bored with what he's got.
The 'latest Celica' is so fucking dull it would send him into a coma.
Lordy.UK
john
2006-05-15 14:33:19 UTC
Post by Lordy.UK
Post by john
Latest celica corners like it's on rails
build and reliability second to none.
He's already talking about being bored with what he's got.
The 'latest Celica' is so fucking dull it would send him into a coma.
Well OK it's hardly new but it's pretty good value for a cheap coupe..if he
can stretch to an RX8 then fine..

If he wants interesting he could go the popular 'retro' heap route (ohh
i've just sprayed myself, it's got RWD!), but maybe thats not what he has in
mind....

what do you suggest oh wise one ;-)
JackH
2006-05-14 18:44:39 UTC
DervMan wrote:

<SNIP>
Post by DervMan
I think I want another Ka. Or a Puma. Or something small and funky
and puntable on a country lane. Or something diesel. Or something
interesting...
Sir wants a 106 GTi... or dare I say it, a 16v Rallye. :-D

If there ever is a mods meet and I'm attending, I'll be bringing the
Rallye... which is all of the above, bar diesel.

Not only that, but it always starts...

JackH
DervMan
2006-05-14 18:52:13 UTC
Post by JackH
<SNIP>
Post by DervMan
I think I want another Ka. Or a Puma. Or something small and funky
and puntable on a country lane. Or something diesel. Or something
interesting...
Sir wants a 106 GTi... or dare I say it, a 16v Rallye. :-D
If there ever is a mods meet and I'm attending, I'll be bringing the
Rallye... which is all of the above, bar diesel.
Not only that, but it always starts...
Hmmmmmmmmmm....
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
JackH
2006-05-14 19:01:30 UTC
Post by DervMan
Post by JackH
<SNIP>
Post by DervMan
I think I want another Ka. Or a Puma. Or something small and funky
and puntable on a country lane. Or something diesel. Or something
interesting...
Sir wants a 106 GTi... or dare I say it, a 16v Rallye. :-D
If there ever is a mods meet and I'm attending, I'll be bringing the
Rallye... which is all of the above, bar diesel.
Not only that, but it always starts...
Hmmmmmmmmmm....
I'll sum it up.

I cleaned the Golf out today, gave it a good once over in preparation for
its MOT etc., and then took it out for a run round some of the local country
lanes to make sure everything is as it should be.

And it was...

But having had the Rallye for a while now, the goalposts appear to have
moved somewhat - I was glad to get back in that later on in the day, even
though as you know, I'm a bit of a VW TDI afficiendo.

I won't sell the Golf... yet - I may end up having a big commute at some
stage within the next few months, and it'll be a better day in day out car
for that... but... I've had a few hot hatches in my time, and this 106 is
the absolute bollocks. :-)

I lost my interest in cars for a while, not least after the VTEC debacle...
but this one has got me well interested again. :-)

JackH
Pete M
2006-05-14 20:08:11 UTC
In news:2OI9g.29470$***@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
DervMan <***@ntlworld.com> waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it
went something like this;
[...]
Heh, LPG Range Rover... won't handle that well, but it has a V8 and is cheap
to run.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,

"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"
Timo Geusch
2006-05-14 22:02:25 UTC
Post by DervMan
[...]
... for Range Rover values of cheap.

Pete M
2006-05-15 01:15:30 UTC
In news:***@nermal.unix-consult.com,
Timo Geusch <***@unixconsult.co.uk> waffled on in a
Post by DervMan
[...]
I've got one, well, I've got two, but only one is LPG and doesn't run on LPG
at all at the moment. So it's not cheap to fuel, but it's dead cheap to
insure and bits are very cheap for it.

DervMan
2006-05-15 06:27:36 UTC
Post by DervMan
[...]
The weakness of the V8 Rangey is that it doesn't hit the "small and funky
and puntable on a country lane" unless you mean, an offroad country lane! ;)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
NeedforSwede2
2006-05-15 08:53:24 UTC
Post by DervMan
puntable on a country lane" unless you mean, an offroad country lane! ;)
Of course it. Will straighten corners wonderfully (drive through hedges
if you can't see over them)
Timo Geusch
2006-05-20 15:29:32 UTC
Post by Pete M
I've got one, well, I've got two, but only one is LPG and doesn't run
on LPG at all at the moment. So it's not cheap to fuel, but it's dead
cheap to insure and bits are very cheap for it.
How do you manage to get cheap inswearance for one? I've had to resort
to having another 'main' car and keeping the RR on a mileage-limited
policy to get a reasonable quote...

Pete M
2006-05-20 20:09:25 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by Pete M
I've got one, well, I've got two, but only one is LPG and doesn't run
on LPG at all at the moment. So it's not cheap to fuel, but it's dead
cheap to insure and bits are very cheap for it.
How do you manage to get cheap inswearance for one? I've had to resort
to having another 'main' car and keeping the RR on a mileage-limited
policy to get a reasonable quote...
Mine's around £400 a year, fully comp, through the RAC.

I want a better one now though, I'm considering getting an Overfinch one in
the next year or so, at the moment I'd be happy if the LPG on mine worked as
it should...

Timo Geusch
2006-05-20 20:26:46 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by Pete M
I've got one, well, I've got two, but only one is LPG and doesn't
run on LPG at all at the moment. So it's not cheap to fuel, but
it's dead cheap to insure and bits are very cheap for it.
How do you manage to get cheap inswearance for one? I've had to
resort to having another 'main' car and keeping the RR on a
mileage-limited policy to get a reasonable quote...
Mine's around #400 a year, fully comp, through the RAC.
I want a better one now though, I'm considering getting an Overfinch
one in the next year or so, at the moment I'd be happy if the LPG on
mine worked as it should...
<points finger at Strange Rover-shaped heap>

This one 'ere will be for sale very soon, and the LPG conversion on
that one actually works rather well.

Pete M
2006-05-21 01:05:13 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by Pete M
I've got one, well, I've got two, but only one is LPG and doesn't
run on LPG at all at the moment. So it's not cheap to fuel, but
it's dead cheap to insure and bits are very cheap for it.
How do you manage to get cheap inswearance for one? I've had to
resort to having another 'main' car and keeping the RR on a
mileage-limited policy to get a reasonable quote...
Mine's around #400 a year, fully comp, through the RAC.
I want a better one now though, I'm considering getting an Overfinch
one in the next year or so, at the moment I'd be happy if the LPG on
mine worked as it should...
<points finger at Strange Rover-shaped heap>
This one 'ere will be for sale very soon, and the LPG conversion on
that one actually works rather well.
I'd have bought yours last time, but after the abuse I got last time [1],
and having picked this one up from Kent and now knowing what the journey is
like, it'd have to be cheap.

I only paid £511 for this one off ebay, and it passed an MOT with zero work
bar an exhaust and a pair of wiper blades. The LPG would be easy enough to
put right, but I would prefer a 3.9 with LPG already working, so there's
still a chance of me buying yours depending on what happens with this one...
if you get my drift.

[1] Like virtually being called a cunt [4] by members of this parish for
offering the Renault as a swap [2]
[2] Even though the Renault sold for more than you were asking for the
Rangie [3]
[3] £927 the Renault sold for.
[4] Not by you though.

JackH
2006-05-21 01:48:52 UTC
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.

But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and verse
summary of why the points were raised in the first place.

JackH
AstraVanMan
2006-05-21 07:13:25 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and verse
summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
Guys guys guys, this a local group for local people. We'll have no bad
feelings in here, please :-)
<AstraVanMan: Yesterday's Technology. Tomorrow.>
Fraser Johnston
2006-05-21 11:15:47 UTC
Post by AstraVanMan
Guys guys guys, this a local group for local people.
Does that mean I'm not welcome. ; )

Fraser
Albert T Cone
2006-05-22 11:55:17 UTC
Nah, your still pretty local in the grand scheme of things..
Fraser Johnston
2006-05-22 13:49:24 UTC
Post by Albert T Cone
Post by Fraser Johnston
Post by AstraVanMan
Guys guys guys, this a local group for local people.
Does that mean I'm not welcome. ; )
Fraser
Nah, your still pretty local in the grand scheme of things..
What's 10,000ks between mates.

Fraser
Albert T Cone
2006-05-22 14:58:17 UTC
Post by Fraser Johnston
Post by Albert T Cone
Post by Fraser Johnston
Post by AstraVanMan
Guys guys guys, this a local group for local people.
Does that mean I'm not welcome. ; )
Nah, your still pretty local in the grand scheme of things..
What's 10,000ks between mates.
Quite. I've being doing some simulation work recently, and the
'particle' size in my simulation is a cube approximately 3200
light-years on a side. On that scale 10000km is nothing, and we are
both actually the same person, as is everyone else. :-)
Pete M
2006-05-21 09:47:03 UTC
In news:***@individual.net,
JackH <***@yahoo.co.uk> waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion,
it went something like this;
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was proved right
by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.

SteveH
2006-05-21 10:03:19 UTC
it went something like this;
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was proved right
by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
IME, selling cars is very much a game of luck and chance.

I've had stuff that you'd say would sell very quickly and easily that
has hung around for ages, and stuff that even I wouldn't touch with a
bargepole (with hindsight) sell almost immediately.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Pete M
2006-05-21 14:00:30 UTC
In news:1hfopbs.tgwoxj1j541fqN%***@italiancar.co.uk,
SteveH <***@italiancar.co.uk> waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it
went something like this;
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was
proved right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
IME, selling cars is very much a game of luck and chance.
True.
Post by SteveH
I've had stuff that you'd say would sell very quickly and easily that
has hung around for ages, and stuff that even I wouldn't touch with a
bargepole (with hindsight) sell almost immediately.
Aye, the thing with the Safrane was I had a *lot* of interest in it from
people who'd owned Safranes in the past and regretted selling them, mine was
probably one of the best ones about, had FSH, had all the right options, was
in a good colour, and had obviously been looked after very well.

The guy who bought it in the end was going to buy it on the "Buy It Now"
for, IIRC £1195, and was actually upset when the "BIN" option went because
he was sure the Safrane was going to fetch far more than he got it for. The
2.5 20v ones are quite rare and it seems very sought after by people who
know them.

If there's a market for a car, and the price is right, it'll sell. I've sold
some real oddball stuff in the last few years, stuff that people have said
"Oh, you're lumbered with that, it's worthless" has fetched decent money,
yet stuff that's all over the place can be utterly worthless even though
received wisdom values it quite highly.

Example being a Range Rover I sold last week on behalf of a friend; '91
Vogue SE 3.9, Ardennes Green, black leather, all the options, winch bumper
with £800 Warn winch, £2000+ multipoint and multitank LPG setup, 130k miles,
FSH, long tax and test, new Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres, 2 previous keepers
(one being an LPG specialist who fitted the gas conversion) for £1000.
Reason it was so cheap was the rear 1/4 panel had been gouged by a passing
truck and it really didn't look very pretty at all. Looked a right mess in
fact. I also found a rear 1/4 panel and corner piece on an Ardennes Green
Range Rover in a scrap yard for £20. Took an afternoon to fit it and now the
SE is back to being a very nice car indeed. Didn't even need any paint,
which was nice.

Fraser Johnston
2006-05-21 11:16:48 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was proved
right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 *For Sale*
OMF#9
"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"
Feels like you have been trying to flog the Porsche for ages. What is the
deal with that?

Fraser
Pete M
2006-05-21 13:45:47 UTC
In news:***@individual.net,
Fraser Johnston <***@jcis.com.au> waffled on in a semi-interesting
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was
proved right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 *For Sale*
OMF#9
"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"
Feels like you have been trying to flog the Porsche for ages. What
is the deal with that?
I like it too much, the whole "selling the 911" thing is very half hearted.
It's a shame, I don't use it anywhere nearly as often as I should, it just
sits there, dejected, but it's for sale if someone wants it.

Admittedly, if I sold it I could get a rather lovely Overfinch Range Rover
Classic and quite a chunk of change which is tempting, but it's still a case
of getting rid of the 911, which I can't bear the thought of.
Pete M - Sig as above!
DanTXD
2006-05-21 16:22:20 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[...]
I thought it wasn't yours?
Dan
JackH
2006-05-21 17:00:50 UTC
Post by DanTXD
Post by Pete M
Admittedly, if I sold it I could get a rather lovely Overfinch Range
Rover Classic and quite a chunk of change which is tempting, but
it's still a case of getting rid of the 911, which I can't bear the
thought of.
I thought it wasn't yours?
It's his bosses, I believe.

JackH
JackH
2006-05-21 16:59:47 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was
proved right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 *For Sale*
OMF#9
"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"
Feels like you have been trying to flog the Porsche for ages. What
is the deal with that?
It's not his by all accounts, for one thing. ;-)

JackH
Pete M
2006-05-21 20:20:38 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter
and verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack. I was right, and I was
proved right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
--
Pete M - The Corporate Penguin.
Range Rover Vogue EFI,
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 *For Sale*
OMF#9
"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"
Feels like you have been trying to flog the Porsche for ages. What
is the deal with that?
It's not his by all accounts, for one thing. ;-)
Correct, the 911 belongs to the company. However, whichever car I choose to
buy to replace it, provided it costs £10k or under and retains a decent
amount of value, is up to me. If I choose to sell the 911, and that's
completely up to me, then I'm free to replace it with anything I like. I
have to maintain and service the 911, and I would have to do the same with
its replacement. That's the deal. Depreciation is factored in at £1500 a
year, so a £10k car after 12 months is an £8.5k car. If I get £>8.5k for it
then I get half the profit.

Quite a fair deal, and it means the 911 is more mine than anyone elses while
I work for my current employer.

DanTXD
2006-05-22 01:13:44 UTC
Post by Pete M
Post by JackH
Post by Fraser Johnston
Feels like you have been trying to flog the Porsche for ages. What
is the deal with that?
It's not his by all accounts, for one thing. ;-)
Correct, the 911 belongs to the company. However, whichever car I choose
to buy to replace it, provided it costs £10k or under and retains a decent
amount of value, is up to me. If I choose to sell the 911, and that's
completely up to me, then I'm free to replace it with anything I like. I
have to maintain and service the 911, and I would have to do the same with
its replacement. That's the deal. Depreciation is factored in at £1500 a
year, so a £10k car after 12 months is an £8.5k car. If I get £>8.5k for
it then I get half the profit.
Quite a fair deal, and it means the 911 is more mine than anyone elses
while I work for my current employer.
Why don't you drive it you big gay :-D

Or are you chicken ;-)?
Dan
JackH
2006-05-22 02:59:38 UTC
Post by Pete M
Quite a fair deal, and it means the 911 is more mine than anyone
elses while I work for my current employer.
It's still not yours though, is it.

I take it you've declared this company perk to the tax man...

JackH
Pete M
2006-05-22 13:43:35 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
Quite a fair deal, and it means the 911 is more mine than anyone
elses while I work for my current employer.
It's still not yours though, is it.
Nope, but it's more mine than, for example, a car someone's buying on an
options scheme.
Post by JackH
I take it you've declared this company perk to the tax man...
Naturally!

JackH

JackH
JackH
2006-05-21 16:59:15 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack.
Yes it is... you made your points in the past, and no more was said about it
until now - you're still whinging about people pointing out that on occasion
by way of some of the deals you offer up in here, you appear to be a bit of
a shitehawk.

And I still maintain, (not least knowing as I do how much Timo paid and has
sunken into that Range Rover), that you were a cunt to even ask for a deal
along those lines in the first place.

I'm not the only one either, going by some of the opinions that have been
expressed by others off forum.
I was right...
...you were?

Only, take the deposit left by the no show out of the equation, and that
Safrane sold for considerably less than the £1500ish Timos Range Rover is
worth.
not least because the and I was
proved right by the ease and speed which the Renault sold for.
The ease... mmkay.

Second winning bidder, wasn't it? :-P

JackH
Pete M
2006-05-21 20:06:13 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter and
verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack.
Yes it is... you made your points in the past, and no more was said
about it until now - you're still whinging about people pointing out
that on occasion by way of some of the deals you offer up in here,
you appear to be a bit of a shitehawk.
Nothing to do with being a shitehawk, it's to do with knowing what things
are worth.
Post by JackH
And I still maintain, (not least knowing as I do how much Timo paid
and has sunken into that Range Rover), that you were a cunt to even
ask for a deal along those lines in the first place.
Not my problem. If Timo paid too much for his Range Rover, it's not my issue
is it?
Post by JackH
I'm not the only one either, going by some of the opinions that have
been expressed by others off forum.
I was right...
...you were?
Only, take the deposit left by the no show out of the equation, and
that Safrane sold for considerably less than the £1500ish Timos Range
Rover is worth.
Take the deposit out of the equation and I got £927 for the Safrane. Timo
was asking £900.
No.
JackH
2006-05-22 03:07:36 UTC
Post by JackH
Post by Pete M
[1] Like virtually being called a cunt
No you weren't.
But feel free to carry on dragging this up if you want a chapter
and verse summary of why the points were raised in the first place.
It's not a case of dragging it up, Jack.
Yes it is... you made your points in the past, and no more was said
about it until now - you're still whinging about people pointing out
that on occasion by way of some of the deals you offer up in here,
you appear to be a bit of a shitehawk.
Nothing to do with being a shitehawk, it's to do with knowing what
things are worth.
And LPG Range Rovers tend to fetch in the region of £1500, when in
reasonable nick... which Timos is.
Post by JackH
And I still maintain, (not least knowing as I do how much Timo paid
and has sunken into that Range Rover), that you were a cunt to even
ask for a deal along those lines in the first place.
Not my problem.
It is really, when the general consensus in certain quarters around here
now, is that you're a bit of a shitehawk really.
If Timo paid too much for his Range Rover, it's not
my issue is it?
The point is, oh rapidly reverting to atypical scouse type person, whatever
he paid for it, and whatever he spent on it, in that condition it should
fetch around £1500 on a good day... something which a Safrane like you had
would never, and didn't, achieve.

The other point is... I've obviously touched a raw nerve on this one, given
all this happened weeks ago, and no-one other than you brought this subject
back up.
Post by JackH
I'm not the only one either, going by some of the opinions that have
been expressed by others off forum.
I was right...
...you were?
Only, take the deposit left by the no show out of the equation, and
that Safrane sold for considerably less than the £1500ish Timos Range
Rover is worth.
Take the deposit out of the equation and I got £927 for the Safrane.
Timo was asking £900.
On here?

Where...
Post by JackH
Second winning bidder, wasn't it? :-P
No.
Oh right... only you claimed it had sold on ebay... and then it hadn't due
to a no-show... and then it had when you stuck it back up again, IIRC...

JackH
Pete M
2006-05-22 14:11:49 UTC
Post by JackH
And I still maintain, (not least knowing as I do how much Timo paid
and has sunken into that Range Rover), that you were a cunt to even
ask for a deal along those lines in the first place.
Not my problem.
It is really, when the general consensus in certain quarters around
here now, is that you're a bit of a shitehawk really.
If Timo paid too much for his Range Rover, it's not
my issue is it?
The point is, oh rapidly reverting to atypical scouse type person,
whatever he paid for it, and whatever he spent on it, in that
condition it should fetch around £1500 on a good day... something
which a Safrane like you had would never, and didn't, achieve.
£1500 on a good day if, for example, the ABS was working, the tailgates
weren't shabby, the headlining wasn't sagging, the revcounter was working
etc.. I was going off Timos description of the car, and the fact that Timo
said he'd take £900 for it. I'd pay £900 for it, not £1500.

Headliners for Range Rovers cost over £150, to fix the tacho will probably
mean a new alternator at around £80, the ABS can be a minefield, the
tailgates will cost over £200 to sort and I bet there's more work needs
doing.

If you buy a car for average market value of say £1500 and then discover
it's got £1500 worth of problems do you seriously expect to get £3000 for it
once it's all fixed? Do you buggery. You only pay what something is worth,
whatever the previous keeper has spent keeping it on the road isn't your
problem. You might pay slightly more for one that has had all it's problems
fixed, but not a lot more. Trick is to find one that doesn't need fixing and
pay market value or below for it.

I value Timos' Rangie, unseen, but from his description, at somewhere around
£900. Which is why I was interested. £1500 will get you an immaculate LPG
converted one at the moment so why pay £1500 for one that's not immaculate?
Post by JackH
The other point is... I've obviously touched a raw nerve on this one,
given all this happened weeks ago, and no-one other than you brought
this subject back up.
Yeah, you did piss me off with your comments about the Renault being worth
fuck all, when it easily fetched what I said it would with no problems. Just
because you had a Safrane as a courtesy car or similar for a few days
doesn't make you the man who decides the value of all Renaults.
Post by JackH
Post by JackH
I'm not the only one either, going by some of the opinions that have
been expressed by others off forum.
I was right...
...you were?
Only, take the deposit left by the no show out of the equation, and
that Safrane sold for considerably less than the £1500ish Timos
Range Rover is worth.
Take the deposit out of the equation and I got £927 for the Safrane.
Timo was asking £900.
On here?
Where...
On UKRM. That's where.
Post by JackH
Post by JackH
Second winning bidder, wasn't it? :-P
No.
Oh right... only you claimed it had sold on ebay... and then it
hadn't due to a no-show... and then it had when you stuck it back up
again, IIRC...
No I didn't, I said it'd had sold and the guy left a deposit. The Renault
only went on ebay once, and that's where it sold.

JackH
2006-05-23 03:32:37 UTC
Post by JackH
[...]
Yes, and if you were offering up the Safrane at the same sort of 'ebay vs
mates on usenet ratio', you'd not have been expecting £900 for it... is the
point you still don't appear to be able to grasp.
Headliners for Range Rovers cost over £150, to fix the tacho will
probably mean a new alternator at around £80, the ABS can be a
minefield, the tailgates will cost over £200 to sort and I bet
there's more work needs doing.
If you buy a car for average market value of say £1500 and then
discover it's got £1500 worth of problems do you seriously expect to
get £3000 for it once it's all fixed? Do you buggery. You only pay
what something is worth, whatever the previous keeper has spent
keeping it on the road isn't your problem. You might pay slightly
more for one that has had all it's problems fixed, but not a lot
more. Trick is to find one that doesn't need fixing and pay market
value or below for it.
Indeed.

But even with the faults described, it's still got a market value of around
£1500, regardless of the money he's recently spent on it (£600ish at
least) - £900 was the 'mates rates' price.
I value Timos' Rangie, unseen, but from his description, at somewhere
around £900.
Yes, I know *you* do.

But I've actually seen it... several times... and base my valuation upon
both that, and the prices I've seen half decent ones actually achieve on
ebay etc.
Which is why I was interested. £1500 will get you an
immaculate LPG converted one at the moment...
You speak as if Timos one is a bit of a shitter, yet you've never seen it...

What you probably don't appreciate as much as some of us who've met him, is
he's far too honest for his own good when it comes to old motors - buy
something off someone like that, and you tend to get exactly what they've
described, not something you've travelled hundreds of miles for, only to
find a pile of old shite when you get there.
so why pay £1500 for one
that's not immaculate?
Try actually looking at this one, and a few of the others you reckon are
'immaculate', before stating it's not worth whatever or on par with them -
not unknown for people to tart up an old shitter and advertise it as mint,
is it, especially on ebay...

In fact, IME, they rarely are - if I were still buying cars for the sake of
it (amazing how getting back into a half decent job changes ones
perspective, isn't it), I'd be inclined to be more suspicious of those
motors advertised as mint, than those where a few marks / niggles are
stated.

Ebay is full of lying gobshites - maybe I expect too much when I buy
something described as mint, but when I agree to buy something 'unseen' as
it were, with me then having to travel halfway up the country for it, I
expect it to be accurately described.

The one saving grace of ebay, is they tend to give a shit about their
feedback, and if you stick to stuff with a fresh MOT, you've got another
method of applying pressure should your new purchase turn out to be a bit of
a shed.
Post by JackH
The other point is... I've obviously touched a raw nerve on this one,
given all this happened weeks ago, and no-one other than you brought
this subject back up.
Yeah, you did piss me off with your comments about the Renault being
worth fuck all, when it easily fetched what I said it would with no
problems.
They're still worth relatively fuck all, compared to say the equivalent BMW
or maybe comparable Volvo.
Just because you had a Safrane as a courtesy car or similar
for a few days doesn't make you the man who decides the value of all
Renaults.
It certainly doesn't, and I happily sang the praises of them as well!

What does, is when you've spent *hours* when you had little else to do in
months gone by, gawking at sites like ebay and autotrader, looking at what
stuff is tending to fetch - tis one of the past times of those with little
better to do than keep thinking of changing ones car.

Both Safrane and LPG Range Rover have been on the 'hmm, maybe' shortlist at
various times in the past year, and looked at to see what sort of money they
tend to fetch.
Post by JackH
Post by JackH
I'm not the only one either, going by some of the opinions that
have been expressed by others off forum.
I was right...
...you were?
Only, take the deposit left by the no show out of the equation, and
that Safrane sold for considerably less than the £1500ish Timos
Range Rover is worth.
Take the deposit out of the equation and I got £927 for the Safrane.
Timo was asking £900.
On here?
Where...
On UKRM. That's where.
Ah yes... where it was pointed out that you were quoting 'open market
value', namely what it would likely fetch on ebay, whereas Timo was offering
something up at a sort of 'mates rates' price to the regs. on UKRM, which
was and still is less than what it will almost certainly fetch if lobbed on
ebay.

So no... I still maintain what's already been said on this one with regards
to you in that instance.

--
JackH

Timo Geusch
2006-05-21 07:18:04 UTC
Post by Timo Geusch
Post by Pete M
[...]
Well, I can't afford to drop the price so it depends what you'd call
cheap. That said, now that I managed to get most of the service done it
appears to run rather well. Just need to do the diff and transfer box
oil changes now...